Saturday 29 August 2015

Making room for my closh.

Needing a haircut! 
Our summer this year was very late in coming. It rained solidly all May. I heard on SIBC (local radio) that it was the worst summer in 30 years. I can believe it!

For a while, not even the grass would grow. Everything was so sodden that there was no way anything could go outside to be planted. The weather was ridiculous.

Eventually though, the rain did stop. And unfortunately the grass did grow. At this point I had a lot of plug plants that desperately needed to go into the ground.
I had to dig a patch of grass away but couldn't do that until it had been reduced in volume. I decided (despite my horrific hayfever) that I would strim the garden, instead of pawning the job off to my poor partner. It took hours just for our tiny patch on a battery powered strimmer. Eventually I finished, eyes streaming, asthma attack threatening.

Much better. 
Grass and weeds scoured away
Extra digging required
Once the grass was cut, I started digging. I cleared along the fence and left it at that for one day.
A few days later I bought a closh. I'd dug the patch neatly in line with the wall of my garden shed. The closh was of course far wider than the patch I'd already dug. 
Plugs seperated! 
Grass removal. My favourite task...

 I first planted my plugs without separating the plants out. Having realised my mistake a few days later, I had to dig everything back up again. How annoying.

In hindsight, I would have done everything much differently. I didn't add any fertilisers, organic material or any goodness into the soil. I planted directly into it. I could have had much better results if I'd planned ahead better instead of diving in head first.
I also planted everything far too close together. I'll know better for next year. Gardening is very much a learning process.

Closh, and then some. 





No comments:

Post a Comment