Saturday 29 August 2015

Turriefield Inspiration

I first came across Transition Turriefield, an organic Shetland croft, on the Shetland food blog. It was around early July on a tuesday in teabreak. I discovered their blog and couldn't believe that anyone else up here was doing the exact thing I wanted to do. Growing primarily vegetables organically, in quantity.
After reading everything I could, I decided my mission was to go and visit them and absorb everything I saw, haha! I took the afternoon off work on a sunny Thursday and had an adventure to Sandness to visit them.
I phoned in advance, but got no answer, but was too chicken to leave a message. So I plucked up my courage and rudely invaded them anyway. Poor folk! I didn't know at the time, but Thursday was their extremely stressful and busy packing day. I'd caught them just after they'd finished and were hoping for a rest.
They very kindly let me wander around their croft and I took photos. They have several large polytunnels full of vegetables that would otherwise never grow in Shetland.

Its heaven on earth.
Beautiful bright salad leaves
Tomato plants
A fence along which grows peas and broad beans, salad in the foreground
Marrows that would grow outdoors in england can only grow inside in Shetland
Far left, brassicas, middle onions, right leeks
Corn growing indoors


I was so inspired. Polytunnels are definitely on my Christmas list! The possibilities are endless with one.

I signed up to become a monthly Turriefield volunteer to help with whatever needs doing. It was the least I could do. And through helping I can only but learn more to apply to my own garden. Its a win win situation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment